Sheffield Woman Hires Tree Cutter, Stump Remains Three Months Later

Taking Action
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHEFFIELD, Ala. (WHNT) –  There’s something big standing between a Sheffield woman and her happiness. A tree trunk! Grazia Milstead hired a guy to remove a tree from her yard. She says he showed up, removed the limbs, but left the trunk.

Milstead says she’s been trying to get the job finished for more than three months, so Milstead contacted WHNT News 19 for help.

She thought the old oak tree and falling acorns were a problem. She now thinks her problem is with Bryan Pitts, who promised to cut down the tree.

Milstead says Pitts has given her excuse after excuse about why he hasn’t finished the job. She’s about ready to pull out her hair by the roots.

Milstead works from home and runs a business her husband started decades ago. She likes her time in the home office.

One thing outside drives Milstead nuts, though.

“It’s an oak tree,” said Milstead.

Milstead decided three months ago it was time for the tree to go.

“It kept dropping acorns in my yard. I got tired of picking those acorns up,” added Milstead.

A man walked into Milstead’s yard and offered a perfect solution on November 1, 2013.

“He asked me if he could do some work for me. He said I needed some trees trimmed. Of course, I had wanted to take the tree down anyway,” added Milstead.

She remembers it was a Friday afternoon. She also remembers the man was Pitts.

“His price kept getting lower, lower and lower. So, I thought why not, you’ve wanted to get this old tree down. Let’s go for it,” added Milstead.

Milstead expected Pitts back the next day. He returned with a few friends, cut the tree limbs, spruced up the yard, but asked to come back a third day to take care of the stump.

“The next morning came, I didn’t see him and didn’t hear from him. So, I started calling his office,” said Milstead.

The woman who answered the phone promised Milstead she’d get a call back. Milstead threatened to call police if things were not made right.

‘It didn’t do any bit of good. He did not show up. Here it is February,” added Milstead.

WHNT News 19 is in Sheffield fighting for Milstead.

“I’m just disgusted to think I have been taken advantage of. I gave him my check. He did not have to wait on the check,” added Milstead.

Milstead wrote Pitts a check for $1,500.

WHNT News 19 asked Milstead, “What do you think Pitts is going to say when we go after him?

Milstead replied, “There is no telling. You will probably hear the same lame excuses that I’ve heard.”

Pitts called WHNT News 19 the morning of Tuesday, February 25, the day this report was scheduled to air.  He told a station employee he was on the way to Milstead’s home to cut down the tree.

WHNT News 19 checked with Milstead four times Tuesday to see if Pitts showed up to make things right.

Milstead told WHNT News 19, as of 4:45 p.m., Pitts had not arrived at her home.  Our report aired on WHNT News 19 at 5:00 p.m.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.