Miami Shores, Fla. – The historic season for the University of Alabama in Huntsville men’s tennis team came to a close on Sunday, as the team fell to top-seeded Barry University 5-0 in the NCAA South Regional semifinals at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
The Chargers finish the season 15-12, but more importantly made history by earning the program’s first-ever NCAA Tournament victory over Stillman on Saturday. UAH ran into a loaded Barry squad that was the top seed in the region and also the No. 2-ranked team in Division II.
“I told the guys not to hang their heads. Today we really went out and competed very hard against on of the best teams in the country. You have to give credit to Barry, they are a great team,” said Finn.
Despite the No. 3 doubles team of Christopher Kano and Raphael Oliveira falling 8-1, No. 1 doubles lost in a thrilling 9-7 match. The duo of Jose Soto and Nestor Perez gave Barry’s best doubles team all they could handle, but came up just short in the end.
Barry, who now moves to a perfect 24-0 on the season, will face the winner of Rollins and Saint Leo for a trip to Surprise, Ariz., and the NCAA Division II Tennis Championships.
The program will say goodbye to three seniors who helped make UAH history in 2013, as Kano, Reyes and Oliveira will graduate this year.
“It was one of the best years in school history and the guys laid a solid foundation of what this program is all about. To come from five wins a year ago to 15 wins this season is pretty remarkable,” said Finn.
The future certainly looks bright for Finn and the men’s tennis program, as key returnees and team success this year will make for an exciting 2014 season.
“Only good things will be coming in the near future. With the recruits coming in next year and our returners, our expectations will only be higher,” said Finn.
#2 Barry 5, Alabama-Huntsville 0
1. #4 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) vs. Jose Soto (UAH) 6-3, 2-4, unfinished
2. #19 Fabian Groetsch (BUM) vs. Fredrik Graaner (UAH) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
3. Romain Costamagna (BUM) vs. Chris Kano (UAH) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
4. Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) def. Nestor Perez (UAH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Renato Lombardi (BUM) vs. Guillermo Reyes (UAH) 6-3, unfinished
6. Kevin Sielmann (BUM) def. Raphael Oliveira (UAH) 6-2, 6-1
1. #2 Marco Mokrzycki/Fabian Groetsch (BUM) def. Jose Soto/Nestor Perez (UAH) 9-7
2. Max Wimmer/Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) def. Fredrik Graaner/Guillermo Reyes (UAH) 8-4
3. Romain Costamagna/Leo Vivas (BUM) def. Chris Kano/Raphael Oliveira (UAH) 8-1
Alabama-Huntsville 15-12; Regional ranking #9
Barry 24-0; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6)
NCAA South Region 1 semifinals
Courtesy UAH Media Relations