This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) – The December 1, 2014 deadline to get the state’s new STAR I.D. is pushed back to 2016. But, you can still go ahead and check it off your to-do list.

The  Alabama Department of Public Safety implemented the STAR I.D. program to comply with the federal REAL-ID Act of 2005. The legislation modified U.S. federal laws pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedure in an effort to increase national security.

Once the Department of Homeland Security begins enforcing the law in 2016, anybody who plans to board a commercial flight or enter a federal building must have a valid, unexpired U.S. passport or a STAR I.D.

You can get yours at the Alabama Department of Public Safety State Troopers’ office at 1115-A Church St. in Huntsville.It’s not as easy as just showing up, you’ll have to bring a few things with you.  You can only get the STAR I.D. at the Troopers’ offices. You cannot get the STAR I.D. at a courthouse or drivers license satellite office.

See all the office locations by county.  You can visit another county; it doesn’t have to be the county you live in.

In order to be issued a STAR I.D., you must verify your identity and date of birth by providing one of the following:

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • Certified birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
  • Valid, unexpired permanent resident card (Form I-551) issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS (Form I-766 or Form I-688B)
  • Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed, accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance to the United States
  • Certificate of naturalization issued by DHS (form N-550 or N-561)
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by DHS (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • A REAL-ID compliant driver license or non-driver identification card

If the applicant’s name is different than the document provided (marriage, adoption, court order, etc.), official documents verifying the change are required. 

Applicants will also need to verify their Social Security Numbers by providing one of these documents:

  • Social Security card
  • A certified letter (on letterhead) from the Social Security Administration stating the person’s name and SSN
  • United States Military I.D.
  • United States Military Form DD 214
  • Medicare/Medicaid I.D. (if SSN is followed by the letter ‘A’)
  • W-2 Tax form

Lastly, you will need to bring two of the following:

  • Voter registration card
  • Residential mortgage contract
  • Current lease or rental agreement
  • Proof of payment of residential property tax
  • Previous year’s tax returns bearing applicants address
  • Vehicle registration with applicant’s name and address
  • Utility bill (water, gas or electric) less than 90 days old
  • Any state or federal court documents indicating residence address
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
  • Sex offender registration documents
  • Current homeowners insurance policy with name and address
  • Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
  • U.S. or state government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
  • Military orders documenting duty station and place of residence


The cost of a STAR I.D. is $23.50, the same as an Alabama driver’s license. It will replace your driver’s license and must be renewed every four years.

Here is more information on