BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — Family, friends and many people from the community will come together to remember the life of 8-year-old Royta Giles Jr.
Royta was a student at Jonesboro Elementary School, who the assistant principal says was a “bright, charismatic second-grader who had the ‘it’ factor and wanted to grow up and someday be a musician.”
There is now a makeshift memorial at the Riverchase Galleria in front of the Children’s Place where there are even musical notes on display in honor of him.
Authorities say that three men have been arrested in connection to the tragic incident where Royta lost his life and three others were injured.
The vigil is taking place at the Bessemer Recreation Center.
- High lottery jackpots draw Alabamians across state lines
- MainStreet Family Care explains why it vaccinates ineligible patients
- Jackson County Courthouse swept for inappropriate surveillance cameras
- Saving Tennessee’s future: Gov. Lee addresses lawmakers in special session on education
- Jane Doe identified in 54-year-old Texas cold case