HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) – Sunday is November 11th, Veterans Day. But the nation will observe it as a holiday on Monday, November 12th. The holiday was created by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919 to commemorate the end of World War One on November 11th, 1918. Since then, the country has set that day aside to honor and remember all veterans who served the country in any capacity and acknowledge the sacrifices they made physically and/or emotionally in order to protect and defend our country.
While Tennessee Valley schools are holding programs on Friday to learn about Veterans Day and the history and heritage behind it, there are public events planned to honor veterans. That includes a ceremony and free lunch served up by the Downtown Rescue Mission of Huntsville, located at 1400 Evangel Drive, NW. It begins at 10 a.m.
Also, the public is invited to attend a 9 a.m. program at Grace Lutheran School located at 3321 South Memorial Parkway in Huntsville, during which three soldiers wounded in action will speak to students, K-8th grade, as well as any members of the public who would like to attend.
Beyond that, there are many restaurants and merchants offering discounts or freebies to veterans on November 11th and 12th. Here’s a list:
– Applebees: Free Applebees Signature Entree on November 11.
– Golden Corral: Free dinner between 4pm – 9pm. on November 12.
– Hooters: 10 free boneless wings with the purchase of a drink on November
– Olive Garden: Free entree on November 11.ad.
– Outback Steakhouse: Free Bloomin Onion appetizer and drink on November 11
and November 12.
– Golden Corral: On November 12, 2012, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Free dinner meal to any person who has ever served in the United States Military.
– Chili’s: Free meal on Veterans Day, Sunday, November 11th, to all military veterans past and present. All Desserts priced $5.oo for Veterans and active duty military. Veterans must show proof of military service.
– T.G.I. Fridays: Free meal for all veterans and active duty personnel on Monday, November 12. Service men and women will have to show proof of service. Restaurant offers a 10% Discount for all Service men and women with proof of service all day everyday.
– Hooters: Free Meal on Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov 11, 2012. Hooters is serving up 10 free boneless wings to military veterans and active duty military personnel. Drink purchase required.
– Texas Roadhouse: Free meal on Veterans Day, Monday, November 12, 2012, from opening until 4pm.
– Krispy Kreme Doughnut: Free doughnut for all active-duty, retirees & veterans on Veterans Day, Sunday November 11, 2012.
– Denny’s: Free All-you-can-eat Pancakes for veterans on Monday, November 12th.
– Home Depot and Lowe’s: 10% military discount available to active-duty military members, National Guard and Reserve members, retirees, honorably discharged veterans and immediate family members of all those groups. Customers requesting a discount must be able to show a valid military ID card or other proof of military service.
PLUS – Check with the following restaurants, merchants, and hotels for discounts for Veterans Day:
Arby’s, A&W, Burger King, Chick-Fil-A, Chipotle, Dunkin’ Donuts, IHOP, KFC, Long John Silver’s, McDonald’s, Panda Express, Pizza Hut, Quizno’s, Red Robin, Sonic, Taco Bell,
Wendy’s, Best Western Hotel, Continental Airlines, Marriott Hotels, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, AutoZone, Checker Auto Parts, General Motors, Jiffy Lube, Meineke, NAPA Auto Parts, Alltel, Cingular, Sprint/NexTel, T-Mobile, Verizon, Aeropostale, The Children’s Place, Dress Barn, Fanzz (10%), The Finish Line, Foot Action (15%), Foot Locker (20%), Hot Topic, Jos. A. Bank, Jockey, Kohl’s, Lerner, New York & Company, Pac Sun, Reebok,
Timberland Outlets (active duty only), Wilson’s Leather