MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- Pet of the Week: Zoe still searching for her fur-ever home
- Cancer concerns lead to ‘precautionary’ recall of anti-smoking drug
- ‘We will be ready’: Capitol Police prepare for Saturday rally
- Roads closed Saturday morning for motorcycle ride commemorating Trail of Tears
- Alabama State Council on the Arts awards $814K to organizations across the state