Williams’ girlfriend testifies as state witness in his capital murder trial


Jeremy Williams sits and listens to his girlfriends testimony in his capital murder trial on Thursday. (Carter Watkins / WHNT)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

FLORENCE, Ala. (WHNT) - After interviewing state forensics experts early Thursday morning, prosecutors in the Jeremy Williams capital murder trial turned their attention to building the timeline after Brioni Rutland went missing.

Lynn Stanley, a manager at Dollar Tree on Florence Boulevard, testified Jeremy Williams came into work on Wednesday with a cut hand, one day after the death of Rutland happened.

She said Williams told her he cut it when a glass table broke and he had to clean it up.

After clocking out, Stanley testified Williams purchased numerous bottles of cleaning solution and bars of soap.

Alison Taylor then took the stand. She and Williams were in a relationship at the time Rutland was killed. She stated Williams had called her to pick him up in Sheffield near a grocery store the night Rutland went missing.

Taylor said when she picked him up, Williams seemed excited about winning some money in a dice game. She then testified Williams said he cut his hand after striking a piece of glass, and he had blood all over his pants. Taylor assumed the blood was from the cut and washed his clothes later that evening.

She also stated Williams gave her $200 for what she thought was payback for paying some of his previous bills.

Police say more than $1,100 was taken from Brioni Rutland by Williams after the murder.

Taylor said she gave investigators $160 of the money after they interviewed her in December of 2013.

Authorities believe Williams cut his hand while he stabbed Rutland some 70-times during the murder.

Afternoon testimony included detectives with Florence Police Department and how they collected DNA evidence at the scene and in three vehicles.

Jurors then watched a deposition of the state examiner over DNA extraction.

The trial continues Friday with more state witnesses.

Trending Stories