Lauderdale County, Ala. (WHNT) - Four volunteer fire departments responded to a fire Monday, despite the wind, the sleet and even a little bit of ice.
Zip City Volunteer Fire Department said the call came out around 4:00 in the evening. When they arrived, they quickly saw the source of the flames.
"The chimney was on fire, it was smoking pretty heavy," said Zip City Fire Chief Robin Mitchell. "Of course the home owners built the fire to try and stay warm."
The chimney was the only part of the home on County Road 304 that caught on fire. Chief Mitchell says his crew was ready for the worst.
"With all the ice and bad weather, the rain and everything, they were still ready to roll at all times," he said. "Everybody is a volunteer here, but we still are here to do the job. To do whatever it takes to get the job done."
Volunteers from Zip City, Green Hill, Mid-Laudrdale and Underwood fire departments helped contain the flames. Crews were in and out in no time.
"Once we're finished up here and the chimney cools off some, they'll probably get a fire back in it and be back warm again tonight. They'll be good to go."
No matter the ice and freezing temperatures, crews spent an evening in the cold, to keep their neighbors warm.
No one was hurt thanks to the quick response from those volunteer fire departments. The damage was very minor.