FLORENCE, Ala. – Two small children in Florence were severely injured by boiling water Tuesday morning. Both were airlifted to the burn center at UAB Hospital in Birmingham.
According to first responders, the call for help went out just before 10:45 a.m. Florence police said the father of the children was taking a teapot off the stove when it slipped and fell. Detectives said a 2-year-old and 4-year-old were near the dad when the boiling water splashed.
First responders said the boy and girl received serious burn injuries. They were first transported from their home on Dreary Lane to North Alabama Medical Center. Once the small children were stabilized, both were separately airlifted to Birmingham.
Detectives spent time at the home following the incident speaking with family members. A spokesman for Florence police said the incident appears to be simply an accident which the dad could not have prevented at the time.
We were told by emergency personnel, one of the small children had second and third-degree burns to their upper body.
Florence police said it appears one of the children will be treated and released from the burn center at UAB Tuesday evening.