Sidewalks set to help Red Bay neighbors walk downtown safely

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

RED BAY, Ala. (WHNT) - Red Bay city leaders are working on a sidewalk project to help those in the housing authority area walk downtown safely.

"We've sort of been holding our breath because it is somewhat of a dangerous situation," stressed Red Bay mayor David Tiffin.

Tiffin said it was when he himself witnessed pedestrians on the road that prompted him to take action.

"I was working my garden and I noticed that several people from public housing were walking on the highway you might say to get anywhere downtown."

The mayor said when he first took office, he reached out to the Northwest Alabama Council of Local Governments (NACOLG) to find a safe solution for pedestrians who rely on Fourth Avenue Southeast to get downtown. A year and a half later, with the help of the Alabama Department of Tansportation, Red Bay will soon receive a $200,000 grant to implement a 'Transportation Alternative Program. That means sidewalks.

It's a project to help those without other means of transportation.

"Many of those people walk anyway and they enjoy walking and it's good exercise. They'll have a safe place to walk."

The city will fund 20 percent of the project cost, with ALDOT supplying the other 80 percent in grant funds. So, Red Bay is responsible for about $40,000.

Tiffin said the bidding process for the project will open soon. They would like to see work started on the sidewalks before the end of the year.

Trending Stories