This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.SHEFFIELD, Ala. – Residents were evacuated in parts of Sheffield early Sunday morning. According to Lt. Ivy with the Sheffield Police Department, a 150-lb cylinder of chlorine gas leaked due to a mechanical error at the Sheffield Wastewater Treatment Plant. Officials told WHNT News 19 the plant has two of the cylinders set up in an automatic swap-over configuration, meaning the second cylinder swaps over after the first one is emptied as part of the water treatment process. The first cylinder was emptied per protocol, and the second swapped over. However, the two workers monitoring the process noticed the leak after the swap-over and immediately notified a supervisor. Crews from the Colbert County EMA, local hazmat and the Huntsville Regional Hazmat teams all responded to the leak. Those crews told WHNT News 19 they monitored gas levels where the leak happened and nearby areas where people lived. According to a Facebook post from Sheffield Police, residents in the village, Watts Bar, the bell, and areas along the river were told to evacuate around 1:30 a.m. due to a chlorine spill.
- Blurred vision
- Burning pain, redness, and blisters on skin
- Burning sensation in nose, throat, and eyes
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty breathing
- Fluid in the lungs after a few hours
- Watery eyes