UPDATE: Wood burning stove responsible for fatal fire in Rogersville

Shoals
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ROGERSVILLE, Ala. – New details have come to light in the fire that took the life of a man in Rogersville last Tuesday. Police announced the cause of the fire was a wood burning stove malfunctioning in the garage.

The Rogersville Police Department confirmed the victim was  88-year-old Joe Romine.

Family members said Joe Romine died when a fire started in his garage at his residence on Tipton Road, just off of Hwy 72 in Rogersville.

Romine was working on a vehicle in the garage when the fire started.

“Joe was a man who everyone knew, he fixed almost everyone’s car in Rogersville,” Romine’s great nephew told WHNT News 19.

Joe’s son, Jim Romine, said he’s “Okay with the fact that he died doing what he loves, where he loves to do it.”