Brooks High Student Hospitalized After School Attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – An attack inside a Lauderdale County classroom hospitalized a student for more than five days, and his accused attacker is being charged with felony assault.

At Brooks High School last Thursday, Lauderdale County Schools Superintendent Jennifer Gray confirms a high school student attacked a fellow student during the school day.

Killen Police Chief Brian Hammond said the attack last Thursday afternoon left the victim with serious injuries and according to police reports, he was transported to the hospital later that evening.

“We started immediately with an investigation, and during that investigation we are working with local law enforcement,” stated Gray.

According to Killen police, the accused 15-year-old attacker left school that day and on Friday showed up at the Killen Police Department to give a statement with his parents.
On Saturday, investigators say the 15-year-old student turned himself into police and was charged as a juvenile with assault 2nd degree – a Class C felony.

According to the Alabama Code of Law – assault 2nd degree is defined as assault with a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument that can cause serious physical injury.
Police will not elaborate on what kind of weapon was used during the attack.

“Student welfare is a top priority. So, it’s a good time for us to step back and look at things we have in place and see how we can even improve upon those from this point on,” explained Gray.

The accused attacker has been expelled from Brooks High School. He will be able to reapply to be readmitted to the school, but he will have to appear before the school board.

According to Killen police, the 14-year-old victim has been released from Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital, but is expected to have a lengthy recovery period.

After being charged in the juvenile court system, the accused attacker was released into the custody of his parents.

Trending Stories