MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT)– An update Tuesday about mold found at a Morgan County school.
Earlier, WHNT News 19 reported that administrators at Union Hill High School tested for mold around the building after it was recently found and cleaned from ceiling pipes above several classrooms.
Tuesday, Superintendent Bill Hopkins confirms tests from other areas of the school came back without cause for concern.
He says they are still working to address the condensation issue and prevent more mold in the building’s trouble areas.
No word yet on how much that will cost the school system.
See below for the previous story.
MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT)-- A worried group of parents filled the bleachers at the Union Hill School gym Monday for a community meeting.
They are concerned about mold.
School officials confirm mold was found above three classrooms just after Christmas. They investigated the issue after parents claimed their children were getting sick. Many at the meeting re-voiced these concerns.
But it isn't clear if the students were getting sick because of the mold, or from seasonal allergies.
Principal Robert Elliott said they held the meeting in the hopes of addressing parents' concerns firsthand, and possibly easing their minds.
He said when school maintenance teams found the mold on pipe insulation above the affected classrooms, they called in consultants from Terrell Technical Services.
These experts visually inspected and tested for mold on surfaces and in the air, then made recommendations about how to get rid of it.
"We did find some elevated concentrations of various types of mold growth," said Neil Matson, Vice President of Operations for Terrell Technical Services. "It doesn't appear to be impacting other areas of the school at this time. We've also done some additional sampling of the school and are waiting on those results."
Matson said the school did everything he recommended to eradicate the mold.
Matson believes it's mainly an isolated problem that wouldn't have a significant impact on air quality, although mold was also found in small patches on a wall where humidity lingers in the building. Parents weren't so sure though, and wanted more testing to be done.
Superintendent Bill Hopkins said the school has moved students in the affected classrooms to spare classrooms while the work is being done.
Crews have also ripped out the insulation and ceiling tiles that were moldy. Those classrooms have been cleaned and the air inside, filtered to be safe.
"We will continue to test them to make sure they're ok. And we also want to make sure it never happens again," said Hopkins. "What we want [parents] to know is the same things I would want to know as a parent myself, that their children are going to come to school every day in a safe and healthy environment."
We asked parents if they felt better after attending the meeting. Many said they did, or at least appreciated the school's proactive approach in handling the mold. Others tell WHNT News 19 they are still concerned for their students' health.