Zach Mitchell Remembers Accident That Burned Him in 1997

Northeast Alabama
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT PAYNE, Ala. (WHNT)–  On February 25, 1997 Zach Mitchell and his twin brother Zane were burning leaves outside their home.  Zach poured gasoline on the fire which caught his clothing on fire and ultimately burned 86 percent of his body.

“It seems shorter you know because time is flying as you get a little older,” Mitchell said Tuesday.

He spoke to a group at GH Metals in Fort Payne about safety.

“I asked anybody if they had children.  If they have children you know my story goes perfect with that because I was a young child when it happened,” said Mitchell. “Maybe now they will say, ‘Hey, I’ll put the gas can up higher on the shelf so they can’t reach it.'”

Mitchell spent nine months in the hospital after the accident, including part of it in a Cincinnati burn center.   He says talking about what happened helps him get through the memories.

“I was going to come here regardless but I thought it would be better to come on the day of my accident.  You know it gets me out of the house, because like I said, I get depressed on this day.”

In the years since his accident, Zach finished high school and graduated from college with a degree in education.   He’s hoping to find a job soon because he believes he has a lesson to teach.

“I knew at a young age that I was going to college because I wanted to be a teacher.   I feel like I have something that other teachers don’t have,” said Mitchell.  “I feel like I can go in there and grab the kids attention just by walking in the room.   And like I said, I was telling people in the room earlier, that if a kid tells me they can’t do something, I can stop them and say you can do whatever you want to do.”

Trending Stories