Marshall County Christmas Coalition accepting applications for help during the holidays

Northeast Alabama
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. -- Marshall County Christmas Coalition is taking applications for this year starting Tuesday and running through Friday.

The organization is taking applications at four locations for families who are asking for assistance during the holiday season. "In Albertville it's First United Methodist Church; in Arab it's Arab Rec Center; Boaz, Boaz Rec Center; and Guntersville, Guntersville Rec Center," Director Beth Sprouse says.

Families who live in Marshall County can apply throughout this week at any of those locations. The applicants go through a thorough vetting process in order to receive assistance and have to meet certain requirements.

The organization helps hundreds of kids each year. "Last year it was close to 1,800," Sprouse said.

The Christmas Coalition looks to sponsors to make this all possible. "We're just so grateful for people who are just so willing to help Marshall County Christmas Coalition," Sprouse said. "Marshall County has a big heart."

When to apply:

  • Application period runs from September 6 - 9, 2016
    • Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
    • Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
    • Friday, September 9, 2016 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

In order to apply, you must have the following items:

  • name, photo identification, address, birth date, phone number, alternate phone number, and proof of Marshall County residency (copy of electric bill, water bill, tax return) in the name of the applicant, who must be a parent or legal guardian
  • name of school, clothing sizes, shoe size, and a few reasonable non-clothing gift requests for each child
  • name and phone number of daycare for children attending daycare
  • school name, school phone number, and student ID number for children being home schooled
  • a list of every person who lives in your household
  • if you are not the parent but are the legal guardian, you must bring proof of guardianship or custody documents.
  • Proof of one the following in the name of the applicant:
    • copy of 2015 tax return
    • SSI letter - if another adult living in the household is working, we must also have their proof of their income
    • current legal paycheck stub - everyone that is working in the household
    • July and August bank statements

Here's more information

For information on how to become a sponsor, click here.

Trending Stories

Trending Stories