JACKSON COUNTY, Ala. – Recovery efforts continue in Jackson County after multiple people were killed in a dock fire early Monday morning.
Crews were called to the park around 12:40 a.m. B-Dock was completely destroyed and eight people were killed – six from the same family.
Crews were working earlier in the week to pull boats from the dock and water area. Once all the boats are removed, ATF, ALEA, and the Alabama Fire Marshal’s office will begin investigating to determine the cause.
The North Alabama chapter of the Red Cross initially helped the first responders and is now helping 20-25 families affected by the disaster.
There are multiple fundraising efforts underway to help victims recover.
- The Martins will be playing in a benefit concert at Collins Elementary School at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 21. New Ground, The Interstate Quarter, and comedian Mickey Bell will also be part of the concert.
- A GoFundMe has been set up for funeral expenses for the Miles and Long families.
- A GoFundMe has also been set up to send Amanda Foster’s son Grant to college.
- Friendly Neighborhood Bank has set up a recovery fund – the Jackson County Park Disaster Relief Fund – and donations can be made at any branch.
- Locations in the Tennessee Valley include Bridgeport, Grant, Guntersville, Henagar, Pisgah, Section, three locations in Scottsboro, Skyline, Woodville, and Ardmore, Tennessee.