ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta’s mayor announced a curfew will be in effect from 9 p.m. Saturday to sunrise on Sunday.
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced the curfew during a news conference Saturday evening. She called it a “very unusual and extreme step” after violence rocked the city Friday night. Georgia’s governor said Saturday he’s authorized up to 1,500 National Guard troops to deploy throughout the city.
A protest over the death in Minnesota of George Floyd turned violent Friday night, as people burned police cars and damaged businesses, resulting in 71 arrests.
- Madison County Sheriff’s Office suspending fingerprinting for the public until further notice
- McDonald’s launches $500,000 scholarship fund for students at 47 HBCUs, including Alabama A&M
- Two Alabama A&M employees test positive for COVID-19
- Newsfeed Now: Federal execution; 2-year-old escapes locked house
- Family shocked after 2-year-old escapes locked house, walks down street before dawn