Madison County Schools approves rental boiler for Hazel Green High School

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

HAZEL GREEN, Ala. - A boiler malfunction ruined four classrooms on the first floor of Hazel Green High School. It also took the heat out of a portion of the building. But, the district approved a plan on Tuesday morning during a special meeting.

"We're in the process of getting a contractor to start today to replace that boiler, or to put us a temporary boiler in so that we can have heat," Chief Operations Officer Kerry Wilkerson said.

Of course, those who sit in the desks now stacked in the hallway are the most important.

"They're not going to know a thing that happened, they're going to be warm, they're going to be toasty," Wilkerson said. "The four classrooms that are damaged will actually be a little bit shinier than the day they left it."

Insurance will cover the labor and rental, the district will just have to pay a small deductible. But, parents can rest assured, the students will not be impacted.

"The only section in the building that went out is the first floor interior section, so all the exterior, the top, second floor, is on a different mechanical system," Wilkerson explained. "So, we've turned that system up on high, so we're going to heat that whole building with the bottom section and the upper section. We'll moderate it as children get to campus on Monday."

The crews are working more than 12 hours each day through the holiday to make the necessary repairs by Monday.