OXFORD, Ala. (WIAT) — An Oxford police officer was involved in a shooting after pursuing a stolen vehicle Monday afternoon.
According to Oxford PD Chief Bill Partridge, officers pursued a stolen SUV out of Florida at 2 p.m. The vehicle stopped on Richeytown Road where the suspect, 28-year-old Terrell Lawler Jr., exited the vehicle.
During a standoff with police, Lawler refused to drop an item he was holding. Chief Partridge did not specify what the item was but said that officers believed it to be a weapon. Officers fired and Lawler was hit one time. He was transported to UAB Hospital and is now in stable condition.
The Talladega County District Attorney’s Office is now handling the investigation into the officer-involved shooting.
Stay with CBS 42 as this is an ongoing story.
- Mayor of Madison takes on opponent as election nears
- If you haven’t received your $500-per-child stimulus check, the IRS has good news
- Police: Homicide of 3-year-old disguised as hot car death
- Publix to anchor Hays Farm Development
- New library and Alabama’s largest splash pad coming to Russellville