(WHNT) — Juneteenth is a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in the United States. On Tuesday, June 15, the Senate passed the bill unanimously to approve the day as a federal holiday. On Wednesday, June 16, the House of Representatives voted 415-14 to make Juneteenth the 12th federal holiday. Next, it will head to President Biden’s desk.
The North Alabama region is hosting a variety of celebrations to honor the holiday. The events are listed below by county.
- Juneteenth Celebration at The Camp: Saturday, June 19, 2-11 p.m.
- Huntsville’s Black Market: A Juneteenth Celebration 2: Saturday, June 19, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- FUS-21: A Juneteenth Event: Saturday, June 19, 2-10 p.m.
- This outdoor, family-friendly event will feature multi-cultural vendors, as well as live entertainment. It is located at 6001 Pulaski Pike NW in Huntsville.
- Admission is free for the community. The vendor’s price to register is $100. Reserve your spot here.
- SoulFest Alabama – Campus No. 805: Saturday, June 19, 3-10 p.m.
- This event is part of Black Huntsville Restaurant Week and Juneteenth. There will be live music, featuring a performance from Chrisette Michele, food trucks, and various vendors. It is taking place at the Butler Green on Campus No. 805.
- Tickets start at $25 and can be bought online or at Struts Boutique.
- Greater Huntsville Juneteenth Freedom Festival: Saturday, June 19, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- This event will have live music, food, student poster and essay contests, voter registration, health fair, college representatives, car and motorcycle show, along with other vendors.
- It is free to the community, along with free parking. It is being held at the Lakeside United Methodist Church at 3738 Meridian St. North. For more information, visit their event page here.
- Juneteenth Festival: Saturday, June 19, 10a.m. to 7p.m.
- The first ever Juneteenth festival in downtown Athens will have live entertainment, food, vendors, and art displays.
- The event is free to the public and is located on the Courthouse Square, S. Marion Street. If you would like to sign up to be a vendor or perform click here.
- Juneteenth Celebration in Downtown Florence: Friday, June 18, starts at 7 p.m.
- The block party will feature music, food, spoken word, and activities for the kids. It is located at the Lauderdale County Courthouse on Court Street. This event is free to the community.
- Larinda presents Freedom, the Album: Friday, June 18, 2021
- This event is celebrating her album release and Juneteenth. There will be live performances, spoken word, and they will be serving complimentary food and drink for the holiday.
- Tickets are $25 and you can buy them here. It will be held at Sykes Place on Bank at 726 Bank Street NW in Decatur.