HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT)- Extreme summer heat can make your utility bills sky rocket. Thankfully, there are ways to save money and still stay cool. Nexus Energy Center in Huntsville has a list of ways to save during these summer months. Here are some tips on how to save.
- Unplug devices: When you are not using the TV or the Computer make sure to unplug it to cut the power. Leaving it plugged into the wall uses unnecessary power.
- Use fans: Ceiling fans are a great way to get the air circulating which could allow you to delay turning on the air conditioning.
- Close doors and vents: If you plan to be in one room for most of the day close the doors and vents in the other rooms. There is no reason to waste energy on cooling parts of the home that are not in use.
- Get AC inspected: Inspectors can make sure your system is leak-free and operating as efficiently as possible. Don’t forget to clean air filters; some units require monthly cleanings.
- Turn off Thermostat: If you spend most of your day outside of the house, set your thermostat to automatically shut off the AC when you’re away. To keep the sun from heating your rooms, close the blinds when you’re not home.
- Hang laundry outside: Take advantage of the late sunset and warm evenings to bypass your dryer and let your clothes air-dry. Dryers are often the biggest energy sap in homes, after refrigerators.
- Avoid oven use: Using your oven to roast vegetables or heat up dinner makes your AC work overtime. Try to make more salads and other cold food in the summer, or use the toaster oven for small portions.