Officer-Involved Shooting: 2 officers shoot man who cut brother, neighbor and then came at police with a knife

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Two Huntsville police officers are on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into a deadly officer-involved shooting.

A 911 call came in just before 10 p.m. Monday about a stabbing in the 11000 block of East Gateway Drive, just off of Hobbs Road east of Memorial Parkway.  Police say Anthony Dewayne Briggs, 36, and his brother, Quinten Briggs, 21, both live in the complex but in different units.

Police say Anthony went downstairs to the apartment where Quinten and his mother live and began banging on the door and yelling at Quinten to come outside.  When Quinten opened the door, officers say Anthony swung a knife and him, cutting him on both arms.  Quinten went back inside and locked the door.

Police say a neighbor, Matthew Hook, came outside to see what was happening.  Officers say Anthony Briggs ran back down the steps and began swinging at Hook.  Hook went back in his apartment and realized he had been cut, and called police.

Two officers responded and saw Anthony Briggs on the second floor of the apartment building.  Officers say he came downstairs, charging at them with a knife, screaming at them. The officers yelled back at him, ordering him to drop the knife and put his hands up.  Police say Anthony Briggs refused to comply and continued to charge at them.  The officers shot him.  He was taken to Huntsville Hospital by ambulance, where he died.

Quentin Briggs and Matthew Hook were both taken to the hospital for treatment, but were released.

The two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is under investigation.  This is standard procedure.  An Incident Review Board will hear evidence and testimony in the case.

Family Reaction

Family members of Anthony Briggs told WHNT News 19 that he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. They say the 36-year old took medication for his illness.

"He has had his little episodes, but nothing this bad before, nothing this severe," said one family member.

She also said that she believes police officers went too far in trying to stop her relative.

"Lethal force should have never been taken like that for a person who has a mental disease. Even if he did have a knife in his hand, they have strategies and tactics to take down somebody like that."