HUNTSVILLE, Ala - Huntsville Fire & Rescue training Division will be conducting a live fire training drill. Firefighters plan to be on the property beginning around 8:00 a.m.
The training exercise will take place in a donated structure house located at 2608 6th Ave SW. This house is across form the HEMSI offices on the corner of 2nd Street and 6th Ave. The structure has been prepared and expected in preparation for the drill.
During the training exercise nearby residents may see black smoke coming from the area. However, should anyone have any concerns during the exercise, they are instructed to call 911.
The objectives for the drill are as follows:
- Prepare structure and place apparatus for drills and training burn.
- Announce the training plan, make assignments and conduct safety briefing.
- Announce the training plan.
- Remove downed firefighter through a first floor winter.
- Remove downed firefighter through a breached wall.
- Defensive firefighting evolution: Evaluate effectiveness of exterior knock down techniques used in transitional fire attacks. (Due the size and condition of the house there will be no interior fire attack evolutions.)
- Control burn of the House.
- Fire extinguishment and overhaul
- Re-hab personnel, return equipment for service and conduct post-training debrief.
Firefighters expect to light the structure on fire around 11:30 a.m. Friday. The structure will be allowed to burn completely after the training is complete. Huntsville Police Officers may be on hand to direct traffic in the area.
The exercise should be complete by 4:00 p.m.