This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – Police have released more information about a crime spree Friday that left one woman dead.  Warren Hardy, 27, is accused of shooting a random person on Morland Pointe, killing her.

Hardy was caught Sunday in Whitwell, Tennessee.  He is being held in the Marion County Jail, and Huntsville investigators talked with him there and said he confessed to his involvement in Friday’s events.  He is awaiting extradition to Huntsville on a capital murder charge.

Friday’s events

Police say the series of crimes started Friday on Bailey Cove Road, where Hardy kidnapped his ex-girlfriend’s daughter and stepfather from her apartment and forced them to drive to a home on Morland Pointe in an attempt to find the ex-girlfriend.  Court records show the ex-girlfriend had filed for a protection order last week from Hardy.

Once at the home on Morland Pointe, police say Hardy forced the ex-girlfriend into the car at gunpoint, but before Hardy could get back in the car, the stepfather quickly drove away.

Warren Hardy is in custody. (Photo: Huntsville Police Department)
Warren Hardy is in custody. (Photo: Huntsville Police Department)

Police say at that point, Hardy began walking down the street.  He encountered 72-year-old Kathleen Lundy, who was walking out the front door of her home.  Hardy demanded her car keys and shot her, then drove away.  Police say Hardy caught up to the car carrying his ex-girlfriend, her daughter and step-father.  Police say Hardy fired multiple shots into their vehicle but the three were able to get away.

Police say Mrs. Lundy’s vehicle was found abandoned later that night in an area close to the ex-girlfriend’s apartment. It is believed Hardy got back into his own vehicle and drove away.

Investigators knew the ex-girlfriend had family members in the area of Jasper, Tennessee, and alerted local law enforcement in that area. A neighbor of the family member in Tennessee spotted Hardy and police.  Officers chased Hardy for a brief time then arrested him on Sunday.

Police say once Hardy is brought back to Huntsville he will face several more felony charges, in addition to the capital murder charge.

Lundy’s visitation will held at Berryhill Funeral Home Thursday from 5 – 8 p.m. A mass service will be held Friday at 11 a.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church. The family asks that dress be casual. Burial will follow at Maple Hill Cemetery.