HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Huntsville Fire & Rescue responded to an apartment fire at the Imperial Garden Complex on North Memorial Parkway Wednesday.
The fire started just after 4:30 pm and firefighters continued to battle the blaze well into the evening.
Authorities continue to investigate what started the fire.
Officials with Huntsville Fire and Rescue said one woman, who was bed-ridden in an adjacent apartment, was taken to the hospital.
Everyone else inside the eight affected apartments got out safely, but not without emotional harm.
"It looks like it's gone," said Brittany Schrimsher as she helplessly watched her home burn.
She said she came home from work to find her apartment consumed by flames.
"I had just picked my kids up from daycare. I came home and the one behind mine was actually the one that was on fire and it spread to mine. They wouldn't let me go in to get anything."
Schrimsher managed to save her dog, two cats and whatever supplies she could salvage from the charred remains, which wasn't much.
"I grabbed like four diapers, but that's all I could get," she said.
Her three-year-old daughter, Braelyn, and her one-year-old son, Daegan, are staying with family, but all of their belongings are gone.
Schrimsher moved into the apartment two months ago. She had yet to set up renter's insurance, but she said she at least has her little ones to hold tight.
"I'm very thankful for that."
American Red Cross was on the scene to help those displaced by the fire. If you would like to help the victims, contact the Huntsville Chapter at (256) 536-0084.