HAZEL GREEN, Ala. (WHNT) - "We heard an explosion. Then we heard kids screaming," said Shay Harris. He works at a scrapyard next door to the yard where Moore was playing. "We went to see what it was, and it was a kid engulfed in flames."
The kindergartener's father was away from their home when he received the news that his 5-year-old son had been burned in a gasoline explosion.
"I was in town on some errands. I was on my way back and got a call from my wife, hysterical that our son's been burned," said Gregory Moore.
Moore's backyard now has caution tape -- and what's left of a Superman costume the 5-year-old was wearing at the time. The Hazel Green Elementary School student was playing with a gas can in the backyard when he caught fire.
A neighbor was keeping an eye on the child, but was inside at the time of the incident.
"He's pretty bad right now," said Moore. "I think it's 80% of his body that's burned."
A helicopter flew the child to Birmingham where he was stabilized Monday. He has since been moved to Shriners Children's Hospital in Cincinnati for further treatment.
"It was horrifying because I've got a 5-year-old son myself," said Harris. "It's all I can think about. I never want to see that again."
"He was burned so bad, they didn't have a lot of hope for him at first," said Moore. But he says his young son is a fighter. "We'll wait for Justin to come back. He'll be here. I got faith."