Curtains catch on fire on VBC Stage, concert hall evacuated

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Patrons of Sunday afternoon's Cirque Dreams Holidaze performance got more than they bargained for when the show at the Von Braun Center Civic Hall was interrupted.

"We had a small fire on the stage this afternoon during the production," said Broadway Theater League director Andrew Willmon.

The focus quickly shifted from the performance for the people in attendance.

"We were in the second row," said patron Zeke Byron. "One minute we're looking at a guy spinning, and the next minute we see the curtain start to catch fire."

No one was injured in the fire that stole the show -- and brought it to a screeching halt.

"They just took the guy off the stage and made the announcement that asked us to evacuate," said Byron.

Four fire engines responded to find that fire extinguishers in the theater already squelched the blaze.

"It was immediately put out but there was a lot of smoke," said Willmon.

Within minutes, the entire crowd, including the performers, were outside.

But the Broadway Theater League allowed the afternoon's audience to return to the evening show, free of charge.