HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – Ever thought a selfie could win you a free gift certificate? This month, it can.
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle named July “Park and Recreation Month” today to encourage people to enjoy the parks and recreation centers in their neighborhoods. Huntsville’s campaign is a part of the National Recreation and Park Association’s national “Super July” initiative.
The City of Huntsville’s Parks and Recreation Department is hosting weekly social media challenges through its Facebook page to get people outside and involved in the month-long campaign.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Take a selfie in a Huntsville park or recreation area and make sure it follows the weekly theme.
- Submit it via the Huntsville Parks and Recreation Facebook page or by using the hashtag #SuperParkSelfieHsv on Twitter or Instagram.
- Mountain High Outfitters will give a $25 gift certificate to a weekly winner who best represents the weekly selfie prompt.
- Check the Parks and Recreation Facebook page each Friday at 2 p.m. to see if you’ve won the week’s contest.
The four drawings during July have the following themes:
- July 4-10: Selfie with nature
- July 11-17: Selfie doing something healthy
- July 18-24: Selfie with your friends and community at a recreation center, park or greenway in Huntsville
- July 25-31: Selfie showing your superhero side at a recreation center, park or greenway
The City of Huntsville’s Parks and Recreation Department will also host Facebook Live sessions every Thursday at 2 p.m. this month to show off its parks, greenways and recreation centers.