This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DECATUR, Ala. — A DNA testing site connecting a father and a daughter who have spent more than half a century searching for one another; this 4th of July weekend, the Marine Corps veteran finally meeting his daughter, her children, and his great grandchildren face-to-face.

“I think about you all the time. I always did,” 81-year-old Thomas Williams said as he embraced his 62-year-old daughter, Tylin Rosser, for the first time.

“I’m here,” Rosser replied.

“God answers prayers,” Williams said.

Williams always knew he fathered a child from a relationship he had while stationed in the Philippines.

“A friend of mine in the Marines showed me a picture and I didn’t know whether it was a little girl or boy because it was so small, and he said ‘this is your baby,” Williams said.

He was always open with his American-born children about this knowledge.

“I told you about Tylin years ago!” Williams said to his daughter, Dana Williams.

Williams just never knew how to find the child.

Long-lost daughter Tylin Rosser had no idea the father she grew up with was not her biological father until after his death. It was a hidden truth her mother only confessed to soon before her own death.

“She had dementia, and she was in several stages then, but when I asked her was he my biological father, all she could remember was just, ‘William,'” Rosser said.

Rosser’s own daughter gifted her a DNA test from

“I got some information maybe about 6 weeks later saying Carla Minor Williams was a cousin or close relative,” Rosser said. “I said that must be the ‘William’ my mom was always saying.”

Carla was a relative, along with Thomas Williams’ other children; confirmed with a DNA test.

“They all favor!” Williams laughed.

The father-daughter pair met virtually first. Then, Williams’ American-born children began to plan the surprise of a lifetime, bringing Tylin, her children, and her grandchildren from their now-home in Ohio, to Alabama for the 4th of July.

The two spoke about his time stationed in the Philippines, catching up on the little things.

“I got that when I was in Subic Bay,” Williams said as he pointed to an arm tattoo.

They had tough conversations too.

“My mother got terminally ill, that’s the only reason I didn’t come back there, but then after that I didn’t know how to find you,” Williams said.

The day was filled with tears and laughter from the Williams’ and the Rosser’s. It’s exactly what you would expect from a family reunion.