Home in Morgan County Destroyed by Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — Two women are without a home after a fire this afternoon in Morgan County.

It happened just outside the Decatur city limits at about 1:00 p.m. Thursday. Decatur Fire and Mud Tavern Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the house fire on Harold Drive.

When the units arrived at the home it was fully involved. Two women were inside the home at the time of the fire, but they were able to get out safely. Both were checked at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The house did not have power. Authorities say the women were using candles and propane for heat and cooking. The women told firefighters they thought all the candles were out, but it appears the fire started in a carport that had been converted into a bedroom.

Firefighters believe the candles may have caused the fire. There were several propane tanks in the home, but none exploded during the fire.


Trending Stories