DECATUR, Ala. (WHNT) - After a fire last week where a man was rescued by his neighbors while firefighters fought to contain the flames for two hours -- his family is now seeking public help.
An ember from a grill blew onto the porch of the Decatur home, starting the fire, according to fire officials. After he was rescued, Richard Draper was transported to the UAB Burn Center where he faces more surgeries and extensive skin grafting.
He lived in the home with his sister Donna Rush, and she has now moved in with her daughter Demetra Holland.
Now Holland is tasked with getting housing, clothing, and all other basic necessities lined up for her mother and uncle who are now essentially homeless.
"We set up a good samaritan account at Bank Independent," said Holland. "It's not just for medical, it's for clothes, food, housing."
Few items survived the fire, and even fewer survived the constant theft that has occurred at the charred house that is now set to be bulldozed.
You can donate at any Bank Independent across the Tennessee Valley -- the account is in the names of the home's residents, Richard Draper and Donna Rush.