Death of stand-out Ohio student determined to be caffeine overdose

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAGRANGE, Ohio – The sudden death of an Ohio high school student has been traced back to something almost everyone consumes every day–caffeine.

Just days before graduation,  Logan Stiner, 18, was found unresponsive at his family’s home. Early into the investigation, police said they had ruled out foul play in the teen’s death.

The death of Stiner, a top five student in his class, prom king, and wrestling star, shocked the community.

His autopsy didn’t reveal anything, but additional blood tests were conducted after a family member found a bag of caffeine. That blood test revealed Stiner had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine in his body. 50 micrograms is considered toxic.

“This is news to the coroner’s office, we had never seen this before,” said Dr. Stephen Evans, the Lorain County Coroner.

The mixture of caffeine was so potent, it became poisonous.

Caffeine powder isn’t illegal in Ohio and it’s available online, but just one teaspoon mixed with water is like drinking 30 cups of coffee in one sitting.

Now, there is a growing movement in Ohio to regulate caffeine powder.

Read more on this story from our sister station WJW in Cleveland by clicking here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News