HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) will hold their annual “Prescription Drug Take-Back Day” on Saturday, October 23.
The goal of the event is to provide a safe, convenient, and responsible means for the public to dispose of prescription drugs, while educating the public of the potential for abuse of medications.
DEA’s website says, “Take Back Day events provide an opportunity for Americans to prevent drug addiction and overdose deaths.”
Anyone who wants to can drop off potentially dangerous prescription medications from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at any of the sites. Tablets, capsules, patches, solid forms of prescription drugs, vaping devices (without batteries) and cartridges will be accepted.
Liquids, syringes, sharp objects and illegal drugs will NOT be accepted.
On April 24, 2021, the event collected around 5,100 pounds of prescription medications in Alabama. Tennessee saw over 19,000 pounds.
Wendy Reeves with partnership for a drug free community says its important to remove temptation from people.
“This is really important because sometimes people might not even realize it but the opioid epidemic is so big in our community especially that when you keep medications that you’re not using… Opioids especially there is a chance that somebody is going to try to take those from you,” says Wendy Reeves with Partnership for a Drug Free Community Executive Director.
Drop-off sites are listed below. This list will be updated as more locations are added.
- Huntsville Public Safety Complex, 815 Wheeler Ave.
- Madison City Hall, 100 Hughes Road
- CVS, Meridianville at 12275 U.S. 231
- Jackson County Courthouse, 102 East Laurel Street, Scottsboro.
- Lincoln County High School, 1233 Huntsville Hwy., Fayetteville.
- Cullman County Police Department, 601 2nd Avenue NE, Cullman.
- DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office, 2801 Jordan Rd. SW, Fort Payne.
- Etowah County Courthouse, 800 Forrest Aveue, Gadsden.
Coffee County, TN:
- Tullahoma Walmart, 2111 North Jackson Street, Tullahoma.
Giles County, TN:
- Sutton Family Pharmacy, 992 Mill Street, Pulaski.