This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. – Firefighters from several department spent their morning the scene of a fire in Laceys Spring this morning. A house caught fire around 4:00 a.m.

The homeowners tell WHNT News 19 Wednesday’s rain caused flooding in the home on Wanda Drive. They tried several methods to dry out the home, but they say it didn’t work. They say they decided to put a space heater in the home to help dry everything out.

The three living in the home decided to stay with relatives while everything dried out, so they were not in the home when it caught fire.

A neighbor noticed the fire around 4:00 a.m. and called emergency crews.

By the time firefighters got there, half the home was already ablaze. It took crews several hours to get the fire under control.

The home is a total loss. The American Red Cross has been in touch with the family, which doesn’t have insurance.