Chlorine leak causes scare in suburban Birmingham

News

pressure gauges and valves of chlorine gas cylinders

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PELHAM, Ala. (AP) — Authorities have asked residents to stay inside after a chlorine leak was discovered near homes and businesses in Pelham.

Pelham Fire Chief Tim Honeycutt says a worker discovered a leaky container containing about 150 pounds of chlorine gas inside a water treatment station Wednesday. He says a resident had called after smelling something unusual in the area.

One person was sent to a hospital with breathing problems, but no serious injuries were reported.

The chief said workers were able fix the leak. But city officials asked residents of a nearby neighborhood and businesses to shelter in place and to avoid going outside until the gas dissipated.

Exposure to chlorine gas can cause breathing problems, burning eyes and nausea.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News