Update: Grilling out caused house fire on Garv Circle

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Edwin McGee said his family was just trying to grill out on Sunday evening. In just a matter of moments, their home went up in flames.

"We were just getting ready to barbecue and I started the grill, went inside to get things and come back out, come back out and the wind took it from there," said McGee. He believes a spark from his charcoal grill set to backyard on fire. Heavy wind likely made the fire spread quickly.

"It was overpowering, the wind just kept pushing it, and with it being so dry, and the wind, pine cones, straw, and stuff like that, it was just hard to take it," McGee said. "I`ve been grilling for a long time and I`ve never seen, I`ve never seen anything like that before," he added.

Flames quickly spread from the backyard to inside the house. The family said fire officials told them it is a total loss. Only a tricycle and a few other toys survived the blaze. But McGee, his wife and two kids were not hurt in the fire.

"Material things you can always replace but lives you can`t so I`m just thankful people were here that could put it out and that nobody got injured," McGee said.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News