Autopsy shows Freddie Gray’s death was a homicide, 6 police officers charged


Freddie Gray (CNN)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(CNN) — Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby told reporters Friday that her office’s investigation, coupled with a medical examiner’s determination that Freddie Gray’s death was a homicide, led her to determine there is probable cause to file criminal charges.

All six police officers involved in Gray’s arrest face various charges, including second-degree murder, manslaughter and assault.  One officer is charged with first-degree murder.

Mosby said Friday that three Baltimore police officers illegally arrested Freddie Gray on April 12. She also said that a knife that Gray had was not illegal.

Mosby said she met with Freddie Gray’s family to discuss the case and assured them “that no one is above the law” and that she would pursue justice on his behalf.


Frustrated by what they consider an unsatisfying trickle of answers, those angry over Gray’s death plan protests from coast to coast Friday.

At least four rallies or marches are planned in Baltimore alone, with other demonstrations scheduled in Chicago, New York, Seattle, Dallas, San Francisco and Oakland, California.

The mother of Trayvon Martin, the African-American youth killed in 2012 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, plans to attend one of the Baltimore rallies, the Rev. Jamal Bryant of Baltimore’s Empowerment Temple said in a tweet.

Authorities pleaded for patience Thursday after police said they’d finished their investigation but wouldn’t publicly release their findings. Police turned their files over to prosecutors.

“We ask for the public to remain patient and peaceful and to trust the process of the justice system,” Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Thursday.

For the most part, that patience held Thursday night. Marches were peaceful in Baltimore, although police in Philadelphia clashed with protesters as officers tried to prevent them from blocking a highway.

Police statement raises more questions

While the police investigation is complete, Mosby’s office said her office will conduct its own inquiry.

“We are not relying solely on their findings but rather the facts that we have gathered and verified,” she said.

Baltimore police union raises its own concerns

The Baltimore police officers union is asking Mosby to appoint a special independent prosecutor for the Freddie Gray death investigation.  Fraternal Order of Police local president Gene Ryan told Mosby in a letter Friday that the union is concerned about her ties to Gray family attorney Billy Murphy.

Murphy was among Mosby’s biggest campaign contributors last year, donating the maximum individual amount allowed, $4,000, in June. He was also on Mosby’s transition team after the election.

The union says none of the six officers suspended in the investigation is responsible for Gray’s death.

Gray’s death still puzzling

In the meantime, the mystery of how the 25-year-old died has only grown more complex.

Police revealed Thursday a transport van carrying Gray made an additional stop after his arrest April 12. Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said the stop was recorded by a privately owned video camera, arousing suspicion among protesters who wondered why it was not previously mentioned.

The video belonged to shop owner Hwang Jung, who said police copied the footage. The original was lost when his store was subsequently looted, he said.

The new stop, Davis said, came between the first and second stops. Before it surfaced, police had spoken of three stops before arriving at the police precinct — one to put leg irons on Gray, a second “to deal with Mr. Gray,” and a third to pick up an additional prisoner.

That second stop remains under investigation.

Exactly when and how Gray suffered the injuries isn’t known, publicly at least. Some have said it appeared to occur during his arrest, others have theorized it may have been the result of injuries suffered during his ride to the police station. Police have said only that Gray had not been properly fastened into the van, a violation of department policy.

Was it in the van?

Gray injuries may have occurred in the van, according to a report by CNN affiliate WJLA-TV in Washington. The police investigation did not find he died from injuries caused during his arrest, the station reported, citing “multiple law enforcement sources briefed on the police findings.”

Instead, the station reported investigators believe Gray slammed into part of the police van, apparently breaking his neck. A head injury matches up to a bolt in the van, the station reported without mentioning how the injury may have happened.

An official in Maryland’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner wouldn’t comment to CNN on the report, citing the ongoing investigation.

Was it during the arrest?

The account of a woman related to one of the six officers involved in Gray’s arrest appeared to contradict the WJLA report.

She said that the officer believes Gray was injured during his arrest, although he does not know so for sure. She spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity and said the officer didn’t ask her to give the interview.

She is worried all six officers who encountered Gray during his arrest will be incriminated and punished when only two or three might be responsible.

“Six officers did not injure this man,” she said. “Six officers didn’t put him in the hospital.”

Stoking suspicion

The revelations have further stoked distrust among protesters, according to Bryant, the Baltimore protest organizer and community leader.

Young people have told Bryant in the past two days that they are “absolutely frustrated and their confidence level is absolutely shattered” and that Thursday’s news only exacerbated those feelings.

They are particularly suspicious of what police report about Gray’s arrest.

CNN legal analyst Mel Robbins was also suspicious of the new revelation of the additional stop.

“They found out about it after doing this investigation where they interviewed over 30 people,” she said. “So what that says to me is that if it’s going to take a closed-circuit, private camera to show the stop, that they were not getting that information from the police officers during the investigation.”

But Baltimore police Commissioner Anthony Batts told CNN’s Chris Cuomo that people are jumping to conclusions and no one is trying to cover anything up.

“I think it’s unfortunate that these little things are coming out. I think that it’s inappropriate,” he said.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News