TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama head coach Nick Saban and his wife, Terry Saban, donated to save Space Camp in Huntsville, Ala. through Nick’s Kids Foundation.
The Sabans donated an undisclosed amount to the campaign and signed their names along with Nick Saban’s children’s foundation that pours into youth and youth organization.
“Thanks to the generosity of donors and the efforts of Nick and Terry Saban, Nick’s Kids Foundation has distributed over $9 million to hundreds of deserving organizations and causes,” the Nick’s Kids Foundation’s website states.
Their donation comes as the funds to save Space Camp reach over $1.5 million. The amount comes from over 8,000 donors and helped the U.S. Space and Rocket Center reach its goal.
The money will be used to keep the museum operating and allow Space Camp to open in April 2021.
The Rocket Center closed March 13 due to the COVID-19 pandemic; the museum reopened in May, and Space Camp resumed at the end of June. But according to the Rocket Center, business is down drastically since reopening, and Space Camp had about 20 percent of its normal enrollment.
- ‘We all want to get something done’: COVID-19 relief package remains at a standstill
- Suspect charged in kidnapping of murdered Auburn teen re-arrested
- CDC reverses course, says people without symptoms should be tested
- Bob Jones High School cancels two football games after 9 players test positive for COVID-19
- Trump administration grants $11.6 billion in aid to Puerto Rico