Manager – Human Resources
Carpenter Technology Corporation
Decatur, AL 35601
Employee Type :
Energy – Utilities – Gas – Electric
Manages Others :
Job Type :
Strategy – Planning
Post Date :
Ref ID :
Founded in 1889, Carpenter Technology Corp., (NYSE:CRS) is a world leader in the development, manufacture and distribution of stainless and specialty alloys, powder alloys and titanium. Unlike most companies offering limited products and processes, Carpenter continues to increase its global manufacturing capacity and expand operations to provide single-source solutions for today’s ever-changing materials challenges in the automotive, aerospace, energy, industrial, medical, defense and consumer products industries. Our worldwide staff of expert metallurgists, research and development scientists, engineers and service professionals work to find innovative solutions and offers the world marketplace a major marketing advantage.
Carpenter Technology: It’s All About Innovation
Carpenter (NYSE:CRS) is a leader in the development, manufacture and distribution of cast/wrought and powder metal stainless steels and speciality alloys including high temperature (iron-nickel-cobalt base), stainless, superior corrosion resistant, controlled expansion alloys, ultra high strength and implantable alloys, tool and die steels, and other specialty metals as well as cast/wrought titanimum alloys. We provide materials solutions to the ever changing needs of the automotive, aerospace/defense, energy, industrial, medical, and consumer products industries. Since it is all about innovation at Carpenter, we are continuing to grow and develop our business strategies. As a result, we are expanding our operations in the Limestone County area of Alabama. We will be building a brand new facilility and have started to hire for key positions.
Human Resources Manager:
As an integral part of a small and dynamic site leadership team, you will provide full-scale generalist support at a start-up manufacturing facility in Decatur, AL. With a projected opening date in early 2014, this organization has created a role which will lead the HR processes for a facility eventually employing 250 employees. The Human Resource Manager will be responsible for the assessment and implementation of the Human Resource needs of this facility, including an assessment of needs and the development of an action plan to fill capability and structural gaps.
Reporting directly to General Manager of the facility, and taking functional direction from the VP HR of Carpenter Technology, this position provides a rare opportunity to build something from the ground up. Carpenter is not looking for an individual to fill the traditional role of human resource administrator, but rather for someone who fill the more complex and significant role as facilitator of organizational change. The position requires demonstrated competencies in HR management and leadership, including design, development, and tactical delivery of effective HR systems and processes, as well as strategic vision and planning.
This position is ideal for someone who can not only design an HR plan for a complex, growing company, but who can successfully implement it. It requires a high-level business orientation with an understanding of how to translate people practices into commercial success. The successful candidate has an ability to maximize the strategic value and contribution of HR through the creation, analysis and leveraging of relationships and partnerships. The incumbent must have a broad perspective and can focus resources on key activities that will significantly impact the organization.
The role is responsible for developing, implementing and directing all of the people functions of the organization in alignment with our business mission and goals. The incumbent will be responsible for the strategic human resource planning to provide the company with the best talent available and to position the company as an Employer of Choice in the local market. This well-rounded individual understands and is conversant in business, regulatory, economic, and industry issues.
* Accountable for the classical range of responsibilities expected from the function at this level through the consistent deployment and leverage of policies related to staffing & talent acquisition, employee development & learning, employee & labor relations, organization development, performance management and compensation & benefits.
* Participate in the development of Carpenter’s plans and programs as a strategic partner at the Decatur facility
* Plan, develop, organize, implement and evaluate the location’s human resource function and value-added performance;
* Translate the strategic and tactical business plans into strategic and operational human resources plans
* Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning of new programs, strategies and regulatory actions as those items impact the attraction, motivation, development and retention of the people resources of the corporation;
* Develop staffing strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent for all positions;
* Develop progressive and proactive compensation programs to provide motivation, incentives and rewards to drive effective behaviors and business results.
* Develop a human resource planning model to identify competence, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific value added programs for filling those gaps.
* Manage and coordinate all employee programs, policies and delivery.
* Be a key driver for the development of a common culture across Carpenter and Global Pressure Management based on the existing Carpenter cultural model which is very customer and people-oriented, as well as performance-focused.
* The candidate should have the personal impact and credibility to position the function as a driving force for the improvement of business processes and results.
* Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, management, industrial relations, or related area and minimum 15 years’ experience in a human resources leadership position required.
* Successful HR leader with approximately 15 to 20 years of total work experience and ideally including responsibilities in other functions.
* Experience in industrial manufacturing company and/or engineering-oriented environment preferred
* Professional depth in core HR practice areas: organization, management and employee development, employee relations and advocacy, staffing, compensation, and strategic workforce planning
* Experience in manufacturing environments and with organizations known for progressive HR practices with a broad range of HR functional skills
* Demonstrated experience in independent, self-starter roles
Click here to apply.