(iSeeCars) — Sports car ownership is a fantasy for many, but given the price tag and impracticality of these vehicles, sports car ownership is a reality for just 2.5 percent of American drivers.
Which states have the most and least sports cars on the road, and what is the most popular sports car in each state? iSeeCars analyzed over 200,000 vehicle sales to find out.
Which State Has the Most Sports Cars?
To determine where sports car ownership is the most popular, iSeeCars calculated the share of sports cars in each state.
|Ranking of States By Shares of Sports Cars – iSeeCars|
|Rank||State||% Share of Sports Cars|
- Nevada is the state with the most sports cars on the road, followed by Arizona in second.
- The top ten states with the most sports cars have generally moderate climates.
- The states with the least sports cars are Northern, Rocky Mountain, and Midwestern states that have harsh winters.
Stay ahead of the biggest stories, breaking news and weather across North Alabama and southern Tennessee. Download the WHNT News 19 App and be sure to turn on push alerts.
Most Popular Sports Car in Each State
Along with where sports cars are the most popular, iSeeCars also examined which sports cars are the most popular in each state.
|Most Popular Sports Car in Each State – iSeeCars|
|State||Most Popular Sports Car|
|New Hampshire||Dodge Challenger|
|New Jersey||Dodge Challenger|
|New Mexico||Ford Mustang|
|New York||Dodge Challenger|
|North Carolina||Dodge Challenger|
|North Dakota||Dodge Challenger|
|Rhode Island||Dodge Challenger|
|South Carolina||Dodge Challenger|
|South Dakota||Ford Mustang|
|West Virginia||Dodge Challenger|
- The Dodge Challenger is the most popular sports car in 36 states, while the Ford Mustang is the most popular in the remaining 14.
- Both the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger are among the most affordable sports cars, with new versions starting at less than $30,000, which broadens their appeal.
- The Dodge Challenger is one of the only sports cars to offer all-wheel drive, and is the most popular sports car mainly among Northern and mountainous states.
While sports cars only capture a small percentage of car buyers, drivers in the most popular sports car states are nearly four times as likely to experience sports car ownership compared to drivers in the least sports-car-popular states. The Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger are not only fun-to-drive, they are among the most attainable sports cars for American drivers.
More from iSeeCars.com:
iSeeCars analyzed over 200,000 used cars from model years 2018 – 2022 sold from May 2022 through April 2023. The number of sports cars was tallied by state, and the resulting percentage shares were used to rank states.
iSeeCars.com is a car search engine that helps shoppers find the best car deals by providing key insights and valuable resources, like the iSeeCars free VIN check and Best Car rankings. iSeeCars.com has saved users over $342 million so far by applying big data analytics powered by over 25 billion (and growing) data points and using proprietary algorithms to objectively analyze, score and rank millions of new cars and used cars.
This article, Which States Have the Greatest Need for Speed, originally appeared on iSeeCars.com.