HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - The Huntsville City School district is in the middle of financial confusion while looking for someone to become head of the district's finances.
Today, Superintendent Christie Finley recommended and the board approved Robert Terry as interim Chief School Financial Officer.
A previous CSFO, Jason Taylor, resigned to pursue for a contract with the state in March 2017.
Deputy Superintendent of Finance, Bob Hagood, filled his shoes afterward in the CSFO role.
But Hagood resigned last month as board members disagreed over whether he should be blamed for the district's financial uncertainty. Hagood told the school board in August that an accounting error under his leadership entailed erroneous posting of $5.5 million in revenue that made it seem like the board had more money to work with than they actually did. This followed an independent audit where board members heard numbers that didn't line up and sparked further investigation. Since then, the board has been following financial updates closely with varying degrees of confidence.
Now, leaders are in the middle of trying to figure out where the district stands while at the same time searching for its next Chief School Financial Officer.
Last week, the board agreed to announce the top 5 finalists on Thursday, January 31.
The finalists for the job are :
- Vernon Bice, senior mortgage banking officer with New South Mortgage
- A look at his released resume shows work at American Bank of Huntsville as CEO and other experience at multiple banks in Huntsville and Auburn
- Tina Hancock, CSFO for Hoover City Schools
- A look at her released resume shows experience as CSFO at Jackson County Schools, and other experience at Scottsboro Junior High School and Pisgah High School
- G. Michael Manuel, CSFO for Dothan City Schools
- A look at his released resume shows he has been with Dothan City Schools since 1992, with other work as Director of Finance at Orange County Schools in Orlando, Florida
- Jeff Middleton, CSFO for Jackson County Schools
- A look at his released resume shows other experience as CSFO of Elmore County Schools and Autauga County Schools
- LaVerne Williams, CSFO for Chilton County Schools
- A look at her released resume shows work in account management at the State Department of Education, and accounting work at the state Department of Transportation
Interviews will follow. Leaders plan to have someone on the job by February 18.