HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Art, music, and more returns to downtown Huntsville’s Big Spring Park on April 27- 29 to feature more artists than ever before.
Panoply officially begins at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 27, welcoming back favorite local and regional musical acts as well as nationally-recognized and critically-acclaimed bands and musicians, the Art Marketplace presented by Toyota Motor Manufacturing of Alabama, STEAM Interactives, craft beer, festival food, select local food trucks and more.
A community art project close to Huntsville's heart will start at the festival and will leave a permanent mark on the community even when the festival is over.
"You can actually join us with volunteers from First Baptist Church to take those tiles from the iconic cosmic Christ mosaic so the community can help create a new mosaic from the old tiles to be placed in the community after the festival," said Allison Dillon-Jauken, Arts Huntsville Executive Director.
Fifty performers will take to the Panoply stages over the festival weekend, and new to the festival this year is the option to buy rain-or-shine tickets for the music headliner Steven Page's performance. If it rains, you'll watch him perform in the museum of art, if it doesn't rain, you'll be able to have a meet and greet with him at the festival.
Festivalgoers will also be able to enjoy nightly fireworks, craft beer, festival food and select food trucks. There are PLENTY of hands-on family activities and visual events to enjoy.
- Featured Music: This year Arts Huntsville welcomes nearly 50 performances to the Panoply stages, 17 of which are new to the festival, including Victoria Jones, Remy Neal, Jubal, Campbell Station, Alex Banks, Striking Matches, The Retrovales, Canadian Music Hall of Fame inductee Steven Page, and The New Respects
- Rain or Shine VIP Tickets: VIP guests will have a meet and greet with Steven before the show, where they’ll enjoy priority seating in reserved festival chairs to take home that night and use for the rest of the weekend. Or, if it does rain on Saturday night, these guests will enjoy an intimate performance in Spencer Hall at the Huntsville Museum of Art. Rain or Shine tickets are $120 per person.
- Art Marketplace: One of the most popular features of the festival, the Art Marketplace will feature 110 artists from 16 states, providing prime shopping in a beautiful setting in and around the newly renovated Big Spring Park. Of the 110 exhibitors, 40% are new to the festival and more than 26 North Alabama artists will showcase their work.
- Arts in Action: Regional artists will offer demonstrations of their crafts at Panoply’s Arts in Action tents, where festivalgoers can get a first-hand look at the process of painting, screen-printing, quilting, jewelry, and glasswork.
- Hands-On Interactives – STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) interactives and hands-on art activities return to Panoply again this year, giving festivalgoers of all ages the chance to discover scientific lessons through art and get in touch with their creative side.
- Military Salute Night – Another Panoply tradition continues on Friday, April 27th. Military Salute Night, sponsored by Dynetics, will welcome active duty military, Armed Forces reserves and their dependents to the park for a free evening of entertainment. The evening will feature a performance by the U.S. Army Materiel Command Band.
- Panoply Beer and Festival Food - Festivalgoers can enjoy local tastes along with Panoply’s diverse array of art and music. The popular Craft Beer Tent returns, presented by Wind Creek Wetumpka, featuring beer from breweries across this region. This year it will once again feature a special Panoply Beer, brewed specifically for the festival by long-time festival partner Straight To Ale. Panoply will also showcase a great assortment of festival food and food trucks.
- Fireworks – Friday and Saturday night end the night with a stunning fireworks display sponsored by Delta Research.
Panoply Arts Festival: April 27-29, 2018
Friday: 5-9 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Sunday: 12-6 p.m.
- Weekend passes are $18- weekend passes are only available until 4 p.m. on April 27
- Day passes are $10 and can be purchased in advance online or at the event.
- Rain or Shine VIP concert tickets are also now available for $120
- Children 12 and under are free of charge
For more information, volunteer sign ups and to purchase tickets, visit artshuntsville.org. Follow Arts Huntsville on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest updates leading up to Panoply Arts Festival.
About the Panoply Poster Artist:
A popular annual Panoply tradition is the commissioning of an original artwork to serve as the poster for the event. This year local artist and small business owner Christina Wegman was chosen as the 2018 Panoply Poster Artist. For the past two years Christina has showcased her work as a Panoply Arts in Action artist, where she has painted en plein air for festival attendees. Wegman’s love of exploration and beauty has shaped her work over the years and led her to a full-time career as an artist and local business owner in downtown Huntsville. Her fine arts education has come mostly by means of observation, visiting museums, and the artistic legacy passed on to her by her grandfather, a sculptor, and mother, an artist and teacher.
“Christina has captured the spirit of Panoply while painting on-site at the festival over the past two years, and we wanted to celebrate her love of Huntsville as our 2018 Panoply poster artist. She has combined both her abstract and traditional styles to give us a creative twist on everything from the festival fireworks to our beloved Art Marketplace,” said Allison Dillon-Jauken, Arts Huntsville executive director.