Dog helps to save a man’s life during an early morning apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — A man is in the hospital this morning after an early morning apartment fire.

The fire broke out in the 1000 block of Webster drive in the Lincoln apartment complex. Around 3:45 a.m. Wednesday morning, officials say a neighbor, Amos Smith let his dog out and the dog alerted him to a man in trouble.

Huntsville police say the neighbor called 911 and when police arrived on the scene they saw smoke coming from the apartment. They open the door and found an elderly man with burns and rushed him to Huntsville Hospital with serious burns.

Huntsville Fire Department was able to put the fire out quickly but Smith says he’s not a hero. He credits his five-month-old puppy, Queen, for alerting him to the fire and he is extremely proud of this little dog. “I’m not a hero my dog is. I would have never known because we would have been sleeping and I wouldn’t have known until the morning.”

The fire is still under investigation.

Amos Smith and his dog Queen

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.