Student hospitalized after “chemical incident” in UAH residence hall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - One student was taken to a local hospital following a chemical incident in the North Campus Residence Hall on the UAH campus.

Several Huntsville Fire and Rescue units and Huntsville Police responded Monday about 6:15 a.m.

According to Ray Garner, Chief of Staff and Director of Community Relations at UAH, the incident took place in a bedroom in the residence hall.  One student was injured and three other roommates in the four-bedroom suite were checked by HEMSI paramedics at the scene. They were not hurt.

Huntsville Police and Fire responded to North Campus Residence Hall at UAH early Monday morning. (Photo: Sarah Macaluso/WHNT News 19)

Huntsville Police and Fire responded to North Campus Residence Hall at UAH early Monday morning. (Photo: Sarah Macaluso/WHNT News 19)

"I talked to the police. It was not meth," said Garner. "The police said there was no equipment that would be used in creating meth. Plus, meth gives off a strong chemical smell so others in the building would have been aware."

Garner said this was an isolated incident and not the result of criminal or illegal activity. He added that the student who was hospitalized was exposed to a clear odorless gas and is expected to recover from the exposure.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.