Space Heaters can be a fire hazard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MADISON, Ala.  - As the temperature drops, everyone will be taking the necessary steps to stay warm.  People will be cranking up their thermostat and possibly bringing out the space heater.

Emergency Operations and Logistics officer for Madison Fire and Rescue David Glassman said if people decide to use space heaters they need to keep them three feet away from anything that's flammable; like a couch.

The Electrical Safety Foundation International said heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States.  It's data revealed 65,000 homes catch fire each year because of heating equipment.

Glassman also suggests that people should turn off their space heater if they leave the room it's in.  Space heaters aren't the only fire hazards during the cold months.  He said people should not use stoves to stay warm and be cautious of using candles. "Make sure if you are using candles they are out before you go to sleep, or before you leave," Glassman said.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.