Elkmont High School carbon monoxide incident, no one hurt

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ELKMONT, Ala. — At 9 a.m. in the Elkmont High School cafeteria, an exhaust fan on an oven malfunctioned and stopped working. This resulted in a backup of carbon monoxide, which filled a small area of the kitchen.

The malfunction was discovered as a result of a worker reporting that she wasn’t feeling well. School nurses began treating her immediately, and she needs no additional treatment at this time.

The cafeteria is closed for the day and meals will be transported from other schools for Elkmost students.

Limestone County Maintenance and Child Nutrition staff are on-site working to correct the problem. At no time were any students at risk.