FLORENCE, Ala. - After a two-week battle to get his name on the August 23rd ballot in Florence, Chase Holcombe is now an official candidate.
Accompanied by his mother and team of attorneys, Holcombe entered the Florence City Clerk’s Office on Tuesday afternoon. Holcombe paid his $50 qualifying fee and entered the city council race.
Up until this point, Holcombe had been denied the ability to enter the race because he doesn’t turn 18 until Wednesday. A circuit judge saw it differently.
“When I started out, I never knew it would be this many hoops to jump through,” explained Holcombe. “Starting out I thought it would be a nice easy road to qualifying, I thought the hard work was going to be on the campaign trail.”
In court Monday, Holcombe’s attorneys cited a Federal Appeals Court opinion stating he should be considered 18 the day before his birthday.
Holcombe said he has longed for the chance to run for public office. He said young people really aren’t that interested in politics. He said that's sad, because it’s something which will affect them years down the road.
“That’s something I recognize,” said Holcombe. “It’s something I would like to help out, not only with my generation but the older generation and the generations that are yet to come.”
Holcombe is ready to hit the streets and start knocking on doors. He will be facing incumbent Blake Edwards in the August 23rd municipal election for Florence City Council District Five.