The Heart of the Valley YMCA will hold free community events in Huntsville and Madison to encourage kids to keep their minds and bodies active. This year will be the 25th year that the YMCA has held their annual Healthy Kids Day. The Y will offer membership incentives to encourage families to join in order to be active all summer together, members also receive discounts on summer camps, swim lessons and summer programs.
This Saturday, April 23rd, the Southeast Family YMCa will kick Healthy Kids Day off with a 1 mile fun run and obstacle course. There will be a kids Zumba class, kid-friendly vendors, and food sampling from 9AM until noon. There will also be plenty of information for families to take home so everyone can learn how to develop and keep healthy routines.
On April 30 from 9AM to noon, the Hogan Family YMCA in Madison will feature bounce houses, Kids ZUMBA, smoothie sampling, kid-friendly vendors, a Search and Rescue dog demonstration, HEMSI, Madison Fire Department and a child ID program.
In celebration of Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies. Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books. Read to and with your kids.
- Team Up for Athletic Events. Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs or bike rides.
- Volunteer Together. Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority. Doctors recommend 10 to12 hours of sleep a day for children ages five to 12 and seven to eight hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
For more information, call your branch or visit www.ymcahuntsville.org.