Guntersville’s city-wide cleanup scheduled for Thursday, April 21
GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. — The city of Guntersville is encouraging its residents to get out and help clean up their city.
Let’s face it. Guntersville is already beautiful. The lake, the views, residents there will tell you they’re lucky.
Next week, the city giving its residents an opportunity to help make Guntersville even more beautiful. “Next week is Earth Week, so that is the time that we’re encouraged to do our Great American Cleanup which is an event of Keep America Beautiful. So the city of Guntersville is having its city-wide Great American Cleanup on April 21st,” Keep Guntersville Beautiful, Inc. Director Nicole Reyes says.
There will be supply stations scattered throughout the city. “Our main site to sign in and get supplies is the Lurleen Wallace pavilion and we will be there from two until five,” Reyes says.
Volunteers will be assigned different areas of the city. “When they come in and register either individuals or groups, we will give them an assignment area and give them their supplies,” Reyes says.
Residents can also call in and request an area prior to the event. “That is the theme for the Great American Cleanup this year, is ‘clean your block’,” Reyes explains, “So we really want to have a personal responsibility – ‘it’s my job to make sure that my neighborhood is clean.'”
Volunteers can register on site the day of, either at the main station or the supply stations throughout the city, or call the city to sign up. Individual and group volunteers can donate at least thirty minutes of time to this community service effort.
Each station will have supplies, and an opportunity for groups and volunteers to shine on social media with props for ‘Earth Day Selfies.’
Those stations will be in the following locations:
· District 1- Williamson-Harris Park (Williamson Street) will meet on an alternate date Tuesday, April 19 at 3:15 pm
· Districts 2 & 3- Main Site Lurleen Wallace 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· Districts 4 & 6- GHS (Sunset Drive Entrance) April 21 starting at 3:30 p.m. to avoid disruption with class dismissal
· District 5- Fire Station 2 (Hwy 431 and pleasant Grove Road) April 21 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· District 6 & 7- Wyeth Drive Park (Hwy 227 and Wyeth Drive) April 21 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All volunteers are invited to attend a cookout following the cleanup at the Lurleen Wallace Pavilion starting at 5:00 p.m.